How to prepare a car tow dolly:
- Your “EZE-TOW” car tow dolly will arrive fully assembled as indicated in the picture below.
- Simply lay the crate onto its side and remove the mounting bolts.
- The car tow dolly can easily roll out of the crate.
- Bolt on and wire the lights. Note that there is a left and a right light. The light bolts should be very tight.
- Now use the supplied butt splices to connect the lights to the wiring on the trailer. Just match color to color. Be sure to crimp the butt splice closed. Tuck or secure any excess wiring to prevent snagging or abrasion. The lights require a 10 mm wrench.
- Now just drop the fenders into place and use the supplied fasteners to attach the fenders to the fender brackets. The nylock bolts are 9/16.
How does a car dolly work? Well, it simply straps your car down to a sturdy frame for easy transport. It evenly distributes the weight and ensures that the car is secure while you are towing it.
How to use a car tow dolly:
- The dolly coupler must be locked onto the 2-inch ball.
- It is ideal that the dolly is as close to level as possible. Fourteen inches is ideal. Buy a drop receiver if necessary. The more level the dolly is, the more precise the brakes will be.
- Make sure the coupler latch is in the locked position and that the 2-inch ball is properly seated into the coupler. The dolly and truck or RV should be aligned straight.
- Align your vehicle with the car tow dolly. The vehicle should be as close to center on the car tow dolly as possible.
- Now drive up the ramps slowly but steady with one foot over the brake. You should have someone outside guiding you and telling you when to stop. Once you are on the dolly properly pull up to the front. Both tires should be touching the upright angle. Be very careful not to drive off the front of the dolly, which will be a real mess to correct.
- Now apply the brake so the car tow dolly cannot move or roll.
- Take the wheel strap and drape it over and behind the tire and wheel, allowing it to rest on the tires.
- Now use an adjustable wrench or a socket to tighten the winch spool.
- Place the ramps on the front of the car tow dolly, strapping them down, and you are ready to go.
- Make sure you free the parking the brake.
- If you have a locking column, make sure it is left unlocked thus allowing the steering wheel to turn.
- Depending on the car you have you may have to turn the ramps around to place them onto the loaded car tow dolly.
- Some people just place the ramps into the car trunk until they need them again.
- It is very important to check air pressure before departing. The tires should be pumped up to 75 PSI. Your towed vehicle tires should be pressurized and equalized so there is no uneven rolling resistance coming from your car’s tires.
- Never allow an inexperienced driver to tow a loaded car tow dolly.
- Tightening the ARS winches requires an adjustable wrench or socket set that are not included.
Please review and place your owner’s manuals in a safe place for future reference on how to use a car tow dolly.
Dolly pictured is an IDLER unit; no brakes. Disc brake pictures appear at the end.