Before you can think about the open road, you have to properly load your car onto your tow dolly. The process of loading a car onto a dolly is actually pretty simple and with a few practices, you will have it down to a matter minutes. Just take the time to read up on how to load a car on a tow dolly and your car owner’s manual prior to getting started.
Tips Before You Load
Before you load your car, there are a few things you have to keep in mind, to make sure you are doing what’s best for your car, and your dolly.
- Only load a front-wheel-drive vehicle
- Dollies are designed for front-wheel drive vehicles only.
- Make sure your vehicle is ready for loading
- It’s good to check the vehicle tires before loading your car, to make sure they have enough air for the road. You don’t want to be towing the car and get a flat tire, because you didn’t check the pressure.
- Check your tow dolly before loading your car
- Double-check that the tires are set, the dolly is correctly attached, and that the pins and safety chains are securely fastened
- Make sure the back of your vehicle is empty
- If you place too much weight in the back of your vehicle, you risk ‘whipping’ your car around on the road. ‘Whipping’ is when your car moves from side to side rapidly, because of an improper weight balance.
- Have all the proper accessories ready to go
- Have your tire straps, brake lights, and other accessories on standby for once you’re done loading your car.
How to Load Your Car onto A Tow Dolly
Once all the proper set up has been done, it’s time to load your car onto the tow dolly! Here are all the essential steps you need to take to get your car fully loaded onto your tow dolly.
- Park your car and tow dolly on a flat, firm surface, and have them aligned with each other
- Extend the ramps of your tow dolly, and lay the tire straps flat on the ground
- Center your vehicle with the dolly
- Slowly drive your car up the ramp, so it locks securely on the ramp
- Make sure you drive off the front of the dolly.
- If you have a locking column it must be left unlocked to use the “ EZE-TOW “ Car Tow Dolly.
- Park your car, and be sure to apply the parking brake
- Once you’ve loaded your vehicle, it’s time to secure your car – you can read the instructions on how to strap down a car tow dolly easily and efficiently
- After following all the proper steps, make sure your car is in park and that the brake has been released. Your steering column must be unlocked.
- Drive your RV around the block to ensure everything is set to go.
Once everything looks and feels secure, it’s time to hit the road! Just remember when you’re towing a vehicle to check your tire straps between stops.